Friday, February 8, 2008

30 Minutes with Twitter

Twitter....one of the most difficult Web 2.0 technologies to explain. Actually, it's easy to explain what it is....more difficult to explain its usefulness. So I just spent the last 30 minutes using Twitter and this blog is about where I went and what I learned (in chronological order).

From some recent twits, I learned that some Instructional Technologist that use Twitter are addicted to Web 2.0 technologies and I received a reply with a link regarding information about a local court case that basically has legalized gay marriage in NY State. This is useful since I am a co-advisor for our school's GSA club. Since I "follow" the uStream twit, I received information that singer James Blunt will be streaming live on uStream on Saturday Feb. 9. Next, I followed a shared link to a 4-minute video clip of Brian Regan, the comedian , talking about going to the eye doctor. Very funny and I forwarded it to a friend who has been avoiding the eye doctor.

Next, I searched a couple of specific terms in Tweetscan. I typed in "U23D" to see what people were saying about a movie I want to see next Friday when it comes to Rochester. I found over 50 tweets in the last couple of days from people who were generally ecstatic over the film. I also typed in the word "psychology" and I found that lots of people are studying psychology, many hate psychology, and only a few who did well on a test...fortunately, none were my psychology students.

I learned that not everyone is into LOST.

Two of my colleagues were on Twitter. I found out that Erin Ells was opening the new Professional Development Center for Webster School District by teaching a class on wikis. And what is apparently a good week for wikis, Barb Goldammer was teaching administrators about wikis.

I also had short conversation with Miguel Guhlin, IT Director for a large urban school district in Texas. I ended up subscribing to his blog but was interested in how he does Skype video conferences for a fee.

Somewhere along the line, I also was informed about an article by Mike Schmoker in Education Week, regarding educational "improvement plans."

I was privy to a conversation between 2 Twits who were troubleshooting a podcast feed usinga wiki, del.icio.us and iTunes. This was a little beyond my expertise, but something I probably could figure out if I wanted to send them a direct message.

I also learned about punoftheday.com, where I found things like "There was once a cross-eyed teacher who couldn't control his pupils." I decided to subscribe using Google Reader so I could read a pun a day.

Finally, I linked to AcademHack, that recently posted a list of academic uses of Twitter.

So have some fun and give Twitter a try... and if you want to follow my tweets...go here (of course, you will need to sign up for Twitter first).

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template